Ship Accelerations - Load Combination

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mateus_R

Mechanical
Mar 15, 2018
BR
Hello,

I'm not familiar with the standards that rules the design of equipment to be used in a ship/platform and I would like to know how to combine the accelerations (normal, longitudinal, transversal) when calculating a structure to be used on an offshore asset.
I imagine that from an hydrodynamic analysis we obtain the max. value of acceleration in the three directions and in a certain way we can combine them.
Selecting the max. values from the three accelerations and apply to the structure could be conservative (since most probably they do not appear at the same time) and so I imagine that we could combine the accelerations using a sort of load combination factor: for example 50% of the max. accelerations. This make sense? In this case, what is the good practice?

I'm not calculating any structure, I'm just curious about the approach.

Thank you for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In a nutshell...
Determine your normal and max wave spectrum, current and winds loads, all from various directions and their combined effects on the ship or structure while it is operating with your various maneuvering and or stability requirements.

Also, if it is part of a ship, then the design accelerations and the method for determining the associated loads may be set out within the Ship Rules specific to that vessel. If the equipment is permanent, it may require class approval in which case the Ship Rules will need to be adhered too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back