Shipla boards over grade beam details

Status
Not open for further replies.

DC_Engr

Structural
Jun 6, 2023
US
Hi All
Quick question--- working on small job where owner wants to use shiplap boards for his/her front porch--roughly 10*30. My first job though, of this kind. I'm thinking of doing grade beams for perimeter and center and simply installing shiplap boards on top. Would appreciate feedback if what needs to be applied for weather protection and if these can be simply glued to top of concrete.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hmmm, curious:
- why does a ground level "porch" need to be engineered?
- why grade beams and not just a slab? or if elevated why not posts on footings and wood joists?
- weather protection? good quality stain reapplied every few years

Why is a structural engineer concerning him/herself with "shiplap" anything? Shiplap is a term used for a specific kind of siding, though thanks to HGTV it now means roughly anything with wood on it...either way, it's an architectural finish.

"Grade beam" has several meanings depending on where you are. Some people use it to describe a shallow strip footing, here we use it to describe the beam between two pile caps (or just between piles, if a simple house).

I would think you want some furring, membrane, or similar. Should consult an architect. IDK why anyone wants shiplap on their foundation, a board formed wall pretty much gets the same outcome and makes sense. But who am I but just a lowly engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back