Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shipping container side wall loading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dugulater

Electrical
Aug 26, 2022
US
I am being asked by the building department in my county to prove trusses laid across two 40' shipping containers (20' apart) can hold the load of the trusses and roofing material. How would I obtain the loading limits for the top rail of a 40' side wall. The containers are supported with footing at the mid-point just to prevent long term sagging.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well how can you be sure without knowing the spans and loads? If it is point loading perhaps there is effective width of the wall that will resist the point load like a column.

They are made to be stacked, which implies a good bit of strength, but that strength is also intended to be at certain specific points only, so if you load them in some other way, you're on your own.
For example- in the past, we found the floor is adequate for umpty thousand pounds (basically a truckload), but it also assumes that load is a uniform load over the entire bottom- so if you start wondering about point loads inside, you don't have much guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back