Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Short Columns yielding in compression

Status
Not open for further replies.

E720

Structural
Feb 20, 2018
US
Does anyone have any information on when (what KL/r) you could realistically expect a short column to yield in compression instead of buckle. In the AISC 360-16 code as KL/r goes to zero, Fe will go to infinity, and the Fcr term will go to Fy. Obviously you could solve for the Euler buckling length that would result in a critical buckling stress of Fy, but if you plugged that length into the AISC code then you would get <Fy (you will only get Fcr = Fy when KL/r goes to zero). I am assuming also the column's elements are compact so no local buckling will occur. Any information is appreciated. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In the Australian codes, the modified slenderness factor (below) has to be less than about 15-25 for there to be no reduction in capacity due to slenderness/buckling. This also includes the material strength.

Capture_cxyujj.jpg

The exact ratio depends on another factor alpha_b, which accounts for things like residual stresses from welding or hot rolling, and possibly geometric tolerances.

Capture2_dx4mgf.jpg

Ah, I see, my bad.

So in a design sense, they have the answer then. L=0? There is no transition from full section short column squash load behaviour to member buckling behaviour, so the question has no definite answer.

My understanding is that the buckling formulas incorporate an additional factor of safety to account for imperfections / accidental eccentricities. That'd be why you're not getting your full 50 ksi with the formulas. Imperfections wouldn't have much of an effect at short lengths. Eccentricities however definitely would - the column sitting on the baseplate at short length would behave much more like a fixed connection than a pinned connection.

That said, there's some judgement involved here. I don't think anyone would blame you for taking the squash load if you have a stubby column (eg wider than its height). Short like that and you might start seeing pretty significant stress triaxiality in your column which would increase your effective yield strength.

Thanks for everyone's comments. This is not for any particular application, just the stuff that keeps me up at night.

Thsi might be helpful: Sakino, K., Nakahara, H., Morino, S. and Nishiyama, I. (2004), “Behavior of Centrally Loaded Concrete-Filled Steel-Tube Short Columns,” Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 130, No. 2, pp. 180–188.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back