Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

short socket interference fit

Status
Not open for further replies.

subsearobot

Mechanical
Jan 19, 2007
US
Hello people!
I'm reviewing a design that calls for a small steel shaft to be permanently held in place via a press fit into an ultem socket.
The aspect ratio of the interface is .67 (depth of socket to diameter of shaft)
this item needs to be repeatedly temperature cycled, but otherwise will not experience forces beyond gravity.

I think that over time, the hole will, pardon my terminology, squeeze one out. If so, let's talk about estimating the extrusion force.
any thoughts? I don't want to make undue corrections, but this just seems like a problem waiting to happen, but aside from lots of testing, I don't really have a sense of the risk here.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi subsearobot

What’s the temperatures involved and the materials of the components? Also what is the actual interference because that will be extremely important if the joint is temperature cycling.

“Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater.” Albert Einstein

desertfox, dt will be about 100C. it will not come close to the glass transition of the ultem.
I have not done rhe cte study- probly should be next

Molded in inserts with either grooves or kneraling on the OD would be the usual approach.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back