Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shortcut help

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverviper

Civil/Environmental
Jan 2, 2007
US
Hello,

I am a new microstation user and was seeking some help on shortcuts. I have search relentlessly with no luck thus far. I am creating typical sections using AccuDraw. Whenever I type in my X: and Y: data it will draw the line for me using smartline. However is there a quicker way to create a shortcut by pressing a button on the keyboard for it to act like it has accepted the data point? I am finding it rather annoying having to lift my hand off the keyboard to left click the mouse everytime. Thanks for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

silverviper,
When drawing using accudraw you are going to find many uses for each part in accudraw.
When you create a cross section and it is symmetrical just draw one side and mirror it. Set your snap lock on. Here is where it becomes fun. I snap a point making sure accudraw is active. Move the cursor along the X axis so that accudraw shows a solid line, type in 12 (lane width)this will set your line to 12 feet. Don't click anything just yet. next move the cursor in the y direction you will notice a dotted line as you do this. Move the cursor down and type .24 (12' Lane at 2%). There many tutorials and classes on accudraw alone.
You might want to check out Ask Inga, FWHA has a wonderful site to get information. If you are using Geopak they has tutorials for you to follow.
Regards,
Namdac

Thanks for the replies. I tried the function key option as suggested.. no luck with the suggested uses for that function. Unless there is a command for the "left click".

The typicals I am drawing are for a thin lift overlay. This is data i gathered in the field with a rod and level. Therefore to show the ruts in the road and mainly for quantity estimates. When I draw my line I have to type in every distance and shot (X: Y:) to reflect the existing road. Therefore I was asking if it was an easier way just to push a button on the keyboard rather than left click the mouse. I have over 30 miles of data.. so it gets tedious and annoying to move my hand to the mouse all the time.

Thanks for your help.

silverviper,
If you have 30 miles of data, two questions come to mind. One did you use a Total Station to collect the data Then you can use Geopak to dump your data. Two, If you collected it all by using a Level and all of your info is hand written, then you might think about typing all of the data in an Microsoft Access and use the survey portion to dump your data. Remember one thing when setting up the file. Place the data as follows: X,Y,Z,Description
Good Luck,
Namdac

namdac,

Thank you for the help. This interests me. Is there a How-To on this procedure that can show me how to do this?

Thanks.

I'm not sure if I quite understand your question, but I *think* the following is the answer....

XY=xcoord,ycoord will place a point at that absolute location.

DL=deltax,deltay will place a point at that relative location (relative to the last point placed or last tentative)

DI=r,theta will place a point at that relative polar coordinate (relative to the last point placed or last tentative).

The above keyins are the same as "POINT ABSOLUTE", "POINT DELTA" and "POINT DISTANCE" commands.

Usually, you'd use these to place a data point. You might also be able to set a function key up as "XY=0,0" if you just need a mouse click to accept.

I the above doesn't do it for you, you could probably set up a keyin script incorporating the above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back