Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

shortcuts gone, toolbars gone; settings reset

Status
Not open for further replies.

norkamus

Aerospace
May 15, 2012
CA
I just installed r22 and kept my r20 because it was set up just the way I need it. Now, r20 has lost all of my keyboard shortcuts, custom toolbars and all settings are default. Can anyone shed light on what happened or guide me to find (I hope to god they exist) the settings file/ keyboard file/ toolbar file?

I really wish CATIA didn't require questions like this.

Thank you.

Light structural commercial aircraft parts
PCDMIS 4.3 CAD++, CATIA V5 R20
APM Consortium Inc.
Cambridge Ontario, Canada

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Apologies for the pre-emtive inquiry. I found the CATSettings folder and (thank you windows 7) used the previous versions option to get my old settings and back them up. It turns out both r20 and r22 were referencing the same CATSettings directory. Though this would be ideal, r22 seemed to write over my settings with something bogus/default and I don't know why.

I noticed that the path in the environment file wasn't a normal path (like one starting at C:\.....) but it started with "CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA"

I fixed this and gave each release their own CATSettings folder so r22 is free to wreak havoc in it's own directory while r20 can work harmoniously as it always has. This works for me as I will mostly be using r20.

Overkill on the explanation I know, but I'm open if anyone would like to add some info on this situation/ what I may have done wrong.

Nick

Light structural commercial aircraft parts
PCDMIS 4.3 CAD++, CATIA V5 R20
APM Consortium Inc.
Cambridge Ontario, Canada

The bit of info I can add is that not all the Catia releases' CATSettings are backward compatible. Higher versions will overwrite lower versions, then the lower versions of Catia can't read the files, so it resets to default settings. What you've done to split your CATSettings folders according to each version is correct, and it's what we generally do preemptively at my company. We also split CATSettings folders according to customer environment settings, as needed.

It's also a good idea to create a backup of your settings once you have them set as you like, in case Catia just decides to corrupt them one day.

Cheers,
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back