Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Should Bidding be a part of a Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yjoshi

Electrical
May 23, 2011
BR
Dear all, I work for a construction company which is defining all managing processes. Nowadays , we define the beginning of a project by the signing of the contract which leaves the preparation of the tender out of the project scope (mostly EPC projects). What I would like to hear is whether or not you would advise to include the preparing of the tender on the project scope or considering that it may or not be awarded separated as an independent Project. Also I would appreciate an answer from a PMI perspective.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

?? How can bidding be part of the scope when bidding is usually done in response to a request for quote or proposal that occurs prior to award of contract?

What is critical, and often unobtainium, is to have the bidders manage their projects and budgets after award, to ensure that the bidders produce accurate bids in the future.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

We include bidding as part of our processes. Actioning a bid requires resources and documentation invaluable if the bid turns into a contract, so it should be accounted for. Some might account for bidding as general overhead but we see enough variety in technical content to justify specific hours for each bid.

IRstuff - I share your opinion that the quality of the bid would improve if the person preparing the bid needed to live with the results and execute the contract. Been making that arguement for 15 years now... what's the definition of insanity again?

At the other end of the spectrum, we also include in our project planning resources to support the product once it is in the field for at least a year.

Since accomplishment of a bid requires resources, tender process activities should be defined in the time schedule. But when we are dealing with a EPC time schedule in a contractor or construction organization, it's advisable to insert the Bid Procedure activities at the lower levels of WBS (after Procurement and Area and discipline WBSs and so on)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back