Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Should I apply to job direct or through recruiting agency? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GHartmann

Chemical
Nov 15, 2011
US
I have found a job I want to proactively apply for. I am trying to decide whether to apply directly to the company with the job opportunity or through a recruiting agency.

I first learned of the job through an internet job search that ultimately linked me to a recruiting agency. I do not have a prior relationship with this agency or the recruiter. Coincidentally the recruiter has specifically contacted me via e-mail.

I was working on applying to this job and preparing my "job specific" cover letter. I then accidently ran across the same job on the Chemical Engineering Magazine job referrals I have sent to my e-mail.

My ideas are that the recruiter could offer an "inside track" to the job that may not be available through direct contact.

On the other hand if I apply direct then the hiring company will not have to pay a referral fee and this might be an advantage.

(Personally, I would seek the best candidate regardless, but I'm not sure everyone thinks the same way).

I want to try to maintain good relations with the recruiters. I routinely respond with "Thanks, but no thanks" to recruiters offering opportunities I am not interested in. I could always tell this recruiter I already applied, but that is definitely not true (a big white lie [bigsmile])

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You really have no way of knowing if the recruiter ha the inside track, therefore it's six of one and a half dozen of the other. Personally, I'd send my resume directly on the idea I could ask for more money without a recruiter "bonus" being applied to the manager's pay pool.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Thanks, I'm sort of the same mindset. A 50/50 tossup. The recruiter was kind enough and smart enough to find me and contact me with an appropriate opportunity, thus I do feel some connection. Not like a got an offer to do IT work (which is way out of my area of expertise). Which by the way recently occurred.

I really wish companies would decide how they are going to recruit - through an agency or direct. Thereby eliminating such dilemmas internally and externally to their business.

Tough one. Depends on the relationship the employer has with the recruiter.

If the recruiter is not actively retained by the employer, and they are just fishing, it's probably safe to apply direct.

If the recruiter has a contract to fill the position, then you are on thin ice. If you back-door a recruiter in this case, it's likely that both the recruiter and the employer will permanently roundfile your resume.

TheTick:

I don't think the hiring company went exclusive, as the job was posted on a very legitimate job board (Chemical Engineering Magazine jobs) thereby creating their own dilemma.

The recruiting agency is Talascend out of Mobile AL. I have no idea about their reputation.

The longer this goes on, the more split I become. I guess I will get out the coin.

Do not think that the recruiter was kind enough to contact you, it was business. If it was me, I would apply to the Chem Eng job board ad first, then a few days later respond to the recruiter. Then if the recruiter is not acting for the company, they legitimately have got your cv before the recruiter sends it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back