Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Should I be using PDM works and server? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

solidmecman

Mechanical
Dec 7, 2005
US
I am the only one for my small 3 person company designing in Solidworks, should I even bother setting up PDM works? what benefits would it give me?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For a one person operation, NO. The trouble of setting it up is not worth the effort. If the company plans on expanding the design operation, then you need to think about how soon and how large you plan to get.

The advantages that it would buy a single user operation would be to enforce unique file names and provide a structuring for storing library and project files.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."
"Fixed in the next release" should replace "Product First" as the PTC slogan.

Ben Loosli
Sr IS Technologist
L-3 Communications

I agree with looslib a little. If it were me, I would use PDMW. It is worth it to me to better control my docs.

Chris
Systems Analyst
SolidWorks/PDMWorks 05
AutoCAD 05
ctopher's home site (updated 06-21-05)
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

The setup is fairly simple. The problem is know what to setup. If you elect to use it:

1. Get the revision scheme down.
2. Decide if you want lifecycles (Inwork, Release, Obsolete).
3. Decide on a standard file naming convention, usually some part number. You won't be able to check in two files called "Plate".
4. Go through the tutorials and checkout the subscription area for best practises.
5. Decide on a "Project" structure. This could be by "Job" or by "Product". You can also have sub-projects.
6. Consider additional custom properties you might want to track on each file.

I would go through this before you just jump in so that most of the data in there is consistent. Install the vault and play around with the options. You can always reset the vault later and start over.

Jason

UG NX2.02.2 on Win2000 SP3
SolidWorks 2005 SP5.0 on WinXP SP2
SolidWorks 2006 SP1.0 on WinXP SP2

It all depends on how important version control is to you and your team. Based on my experience, you'll know when it's the right time to start using PDMWorks.

I think there's value in setting up PDMW even for one person. You usually have to have some kind of organization to your files anyway, i.e. through folders or unique filenames, so why not utilize the additional capabilities of PDMW to organize things for you?

Pros:
1) Easier to find docs - better search than windows
2) REV tracking
3) Easier to reuse common files
4) Share documents - with AS license you can even set up a webportal to give non-designers access to your drawings
5) Seamless expansion of the design department - document sharing is already taken care of

solidmecman,

Another thing to ask yourself is do you expect to see some growth in your company to the point where you might at some point in the future be working with someone else. Getting set up with PDMWorks now will allow the transition to be easier later, as a system will already be in place and you'll already have experience with it before you have to explain it and possibly teach it to someone else.

solidmecman,
Yes, almost everything has been said.
One of my reasons would be, because of the as built feature. If 3 years from now a customer wants an exact copy of a $5214 machine which has 43 parts, I can pull up his revision and ask for as built. All the drawings exactly as the customer has are ready to print.

Make is simple. Setup 2 users, yourself and Vault admin. Revision Scheme setup primary and secondary. Projects setup 4 to start, Prod Released, Projects, hardware and obsolete. Set your permissions and you’re done.
There is more, but at a later time.

Bradley

well right now I am just copying my part, drawing and assembly documents out to my secure internet server so I can access them from any computer. I think the biggest benefit I would get out of PDM works is the revision control so if I had to go back in time of a part I could do that.

But is there a way to set up the pdm server to be hosted on a server out on the internet? I don't want to host another server running on my local desktop at home..

PDM does not require a server to run. I do testing at home on my slow computer. PDM Works very well there on the same computer I run SolidWorks and everything else.

Bradley

yes but my point is I need access to my files from multiple locations so I would need to put the files on a remote server somewhere.... right now I just throw them on my web hosting server..

For that kind of application, you would need the help of an experienced IT person to help you configure your file server in such a way that your data would be secure, yet accessible.

If you can see your files from remote computers I bet you can see them in PDM. Follow PDMAdmin’s advice. A start for that idea.

Bradley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back