Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Should I Choose Mechanical or Electrical? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtferris91902

Jul 16, 2005
US
Hey everyone!

I am looking to gain some knowledge by asking this question on this forum with a multitude of experienced engineers.

I will keep my history brief as possible! I am 28 years old, have four years of experience in the USAF working with aircraft (I was a flight engineer) as well as 2 years working for a boat manufacturer as a design engineer using Unigraphics NX4. As a child, I have always been a "hands on" individual, loving to take things apart and figure out why they work the way they do.

I am now returning back to school after completing a B.S. in Aeronautics with minors in Safety and Business from Embry-Riddle (basically, a combo of business/light science). I will be considered an upper-level transfer since I already have my core engineering courses out of the way, so now the question arises...mechanical or electrical?

I ultimately would like to assist in the design of advanced aero-propulsion systems, but lack the field knowledge of how feasible this is in today's economy. So many people have told me "you can't go wrong with electrical..."

Is it true that EEs have more opportunity than MEs? I feel that my interests are most closely related to mechanical engineering, but I don't want to go down a path that will provide less opportunity.

I thank all in advance for your advice/comments!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is it true that EEs have more opportunity than MEs?
EEs have more opportunity to do EE work. MEs have more opportunbity to do ME work. EEs are smarter because they work with stuff that blinks (just ask one).

So many people have told me "you can't go wrong with electrical..."
If you trust "people", then you deserve what "people" give you.

How can one go "wrong" with mechanical?

Couple of ideas.

1. You could take mechanical but try and fit in any EE classes you can.

2. You could try and find an Electro Mechanical or Mechatronics degree though they may be more common in Europe than in the US, I'm not sure.

thread730-257538 may well be relevant.

I took Aerospace Systems rather than Aeronautical because I believed the hype about systems being the way forward etc. With hindsight, given what I've worked on, Aeronautical may have been a better fit or mechanical even more so, but I didn't know it at the time.

If you're more interested in mechanical I'd pick that, and like I said just try and pick up enough EE to get by.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

KENAT,

Thank you for the advice! I do feel I should go with mechanical as it coincides with my already developed strengths. I like the idea of filling in as many elective courses as I can with EE-related ones. Do you have any suggestions as far as classes go since aero-propulsion is my desired route?

TheTick, you are absolutely right...I don't feel you can go "wrong" with mechanical at all! They probably had some bias towards the EE direction while I was trying to take what they said to me as objectively as I could. It is hard, however, when that is primarily what you hear without any other advice. That is why I am here speaking to all of you! Thanks again for your input!

I think there is a bias towards thinking EE is more advanced. It certainly has a lot of flash compared to ME.

Advances in EE are more sparkly. Computers and automation and neat robots. Advances in ME are not as glamorous.

I have a friend that can tell you all you ever need to know about the mechanical properties of a popular brand of cookies (think Clark Griswold). Is that interesting at cocktail parties or video propaganda? No. Does my friend make way too much money? I know I'm jealous.

Aeropropulsion, I'd have thought thermodynamics/propulsion/aerothermodynamics classes would be most important, closely followed one suspects by materials and maybe some extra aerodynamics. As to EE courses, not my strong point, dynamics & control springs to mind thought that's not strictly EE.

Remember, just about every EE component also exists mechanically, the converse is not true.

I've seen a few 'news' articles about how EE's are supposedly doing better at present, especially with 'smart grid', 'green power generation' etc. However, then there's threads like these thread730-249439 which make you wonder. EE like ME covers a wide range, from the more 'construction' related fields to power generation even into gizmo's etc. Power gen may be great, EE aspects of machine design may not be.

Also remember, if by 'aero propulsion' you primarily mean gas turbines, these don't just get used on aircraft. They have power generation & marine applications, heck, they even get used in Tanks.

As one of my M.E. professors used to say, "There are two reasons we study mechanical engineering. Electricity and Chemistry."

Regards,

Mike

I will be the first EE to join in. I think that if you like mechanical and comfortable with mechanical, you should definitely go mechanical. My theory is that you have to like what your doing, or is it worth going back to school for a couple years, to do something you may not like.

Just my 2 cents

Jonathan

Electrical engineering at degree level quickly descends into some fairly heavy mathematics, especially calculus and Laplace. If you have a flair for maths then it might be for you. Plus you won't have to study thermodynamics beyond kindergarten level, which can only be a good thing.

Aside from the educational side of things, I would say that most electrical guys frequently have a better understanding of mechanical plant than vice-versa, not because we're smarter - we'd have done medicine if we were that smart - but because our electrical equipment is usually driving, measuring, or controlling the mechanical equipment so we have to gain an understanding of the mechanical stuff sufficiently to be able to hold an intelligent conversation with the mechs.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Of course I might say that most electrical guys frequently think they have a better understanding of mechanical plant than vice-versa, presumably because they can actually see and touch the mechanical stuff and it's not just electrons jiggling in a cable or similar.;-)

I have seen many ME-to-EE crossovers in my time. On the verge of becoming one myself. Some people are able to do both. To succeed in any engineering discipline requires core skills that allow one to succeed in a broad spectrum of disciplines.

On a base level, it's all just different expressions of the need to turn scientific knowledge into something useful. There's nothing about my ME degree that prevents me from understanding how a transistor works.

Note that we don't try to hold intelligent conversations with checkers... but I have definitely learned two things from the mechs: when to hit a non-working item with an adjustable wrench, and when to twist it with Vise-grips. [smile]

image.php

To deal with the OP question rather than propogate the ME/EE discussion. If you have a passion for Mechanical then follow that stream. Supliment it with electrical theory as much as possible. If you are leaning towards propulsion then bias the mechanical subjects towards Thermodynamics (power cycles) and fluid dynamics (turbine/fin/propellor). Although as you have an Aero background the fluids side should be fairly under control.

Electrical can also be learnt along the way in much the same way the EE's ppick up ME topics. We are reliant upon each other. Thought ther is a lot to be said for line shafts/ belts and steam engines! I guess we still need EE to provide light.

Can we trust anything from EE, just ask which way the electrons flow, their basis has been wrong from the start! (Just had to get that in;)

Mark Hutton

Wow, thank you all for your valuable posts! After reading through what has been contributed so far, going ME definitely makes sense to me with my background. I was referring to aerospace propulsion in my original post, but ultimately I would be happy working in any industry using gas turbines! I would like to dabble in EE, and it looks as if I will definitely get the chance to.

I can see the lighthearted rivalry between the MEs and the EEs :)

Jon47532, I couldn't have said it better - pursue mechanical if that is truly what you like. I think I need to buckle down and listen to myself more :)

Thanks again to everyone!

I avoided EE to get away from LaPlace Transforms.

In the very first minute of the very first class (dynamics) on the very first day in my chosen discipline (ME), the professor said:

"Everything we are concerned with in this course is a mechanical system that can be modeled using an electrical analog and solved by LaPlace Transforms."

So, you see how well that strategy worked for me.

In retrospect, though, if you know some EE and controls stuff as well as the ME stuff it opens huge doors for you, seriously, especially if you ever have to commission a plant or troubleshoot a pump circuit or control loop.

Regards,

SNORGY.

One of my favourite opening questions in an interview for an electrical engineering position in a power plant was to explain how an internal combustion engine works. An EE who has no idea about common mechanical things is about as much use to me as a chocolate frying pan is to a chef. Reactions to that question have varied from rabbit-in-headlights to 'are you serious?' to a bit of banter about 'I thought this was an electrical job' followed by a good explanation. Guess which one I was interested in.

image.php

Do you want to worry about dying from electrocution or from being crushed/mangled?

These are the questions you should be asking yourself.

Also, the math is very similar in both ME and EE. The same partial differential equations that describe (exactly) how an electrical system works also describe (exactly) how a mechanical system works.

You should really be concerned about what you like and want to do. Typically if you ask an ME your question (s)he will tell you to go mechanical. If you ask an EE they will say go electrical.

There are PLENTY of opportunities right now in both fields.

As an EE i just want to say that don't think all EE work is done at a desk. I work in the field and love it!

?

sorry... lost my concentration.... saw some lights blinking!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back