Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Show basic thread on protruded part? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dad1

Mechanical
Dec 9, 2005
I am a new user to Pro/E 200i2 and would like to know how to show threads on an extruded part.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is the one of the most common questions for new Pro/E users. I suggest you never show or create geometric threads on parts, like screws and nuts. Unless you manufacture these items, then ok. If you want to show them because they look "cool", then don't bother.

Use the Hole feature or Cosmetic thread to indicate a threaded surface.

Steve

A star for both Dad1 and 3dlogix:

A star for Dad1 for reading my mind. I am also a new user. This post and his other one re. working directories are both questions that have been bothering me and I was just about to post the same questions!

A star for 3dlogix for his general helpfulness and answering before I had even posted the questions!!![smile]

One further question though regarding screws:
Do users generally create a library of screws with all the different head shapes, thread sizes and lengths or is it possible (or the norm) to create a range heads for each size of screw thread and assign lengths at the time of placing it into an assembly? What is regarded as 'best practice'?

Gaufridus

Best practice will the the use of family tables.

I've done work for companies who have had their entire screw selection in a single part. They were organized into nested family tables which allowed you to choose the type of screw, size and finally its length. Relations controlled the description and cost parameters to ensure that everything showed up accurately on the BOM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back