Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Show/Hide Individual Part Level Planes in Assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmcbain

Nuclear
Dec 8, 2009
US
Hello All,

I've recently started using SE ST4 and had a question about working in an assembly. I created some reference planes in a couple part files that I planned to use to help me assemble them later on. When I added the parts to the assembly, I realized that the only way I could view and select them was to click "show/hide" and then check the box for reference planes. Don't get me wrong, this does work, but it also shows the 15 other reference planes that exist in each part.

Didn't the older versions of SE have a way to show and hide individual reference planes from a part? I can't seem to find anything in the SE options that would allow me to do this.

I have found a workaround, but it is so cumbersome that it causes my blood pressure to skyrocket along with my frustration. I've found that I can show only the planes I want while editing the part, save the part, then go back to the assembly, click "show/hide" and check "as last saved".

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like in the 4 years that I've used various versions of SE there has only been 1 constant: NOTHING is intuitive about this program.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello,

When you are placing a part in assembly, there is an option to show the reference planes for that part in the smart step bar. You can also show sketches, coordinate planes, surfaces etc.

Alternatively, you can right click on the part and choose show/hide reference planes. The can be done in the assembly. If you just click on a blank area in the screen and chhose show reference planes, it will do so far all parts on the screen which is probably what you are referring to.

Kyle

Let me try to re-phrase my question:

Let's say I create a part that has the 3 standard reference planes (Top, Front, Right). Then I put it in an assembly. In the assembly, I want to be able to see the part's Top reference plane, but I DON'T want to see the Front or Right planes. Is there a way to do that?

Ahh,

Beachcomber is right. It's an all or none for the part. That may be a good enhancement request though.

Kyle

What I don't understand is why you can't expand a part in an assembly tree to see the Base, Front, Top, and Right planes right there. Instead of having to show / hide them manually... just follow their already established convention of clicking the check box on and off to see what you need. It would make assembly much easier.

The thing that drives me crazy is when I need the planes to mate a part to another, but then can't select a part feature / surface through the plane... so I have to constantly turn them on and off to get everything mated right. Maybe I'm not working as efficiently as I could, but I still think the way planes are handled in an assembly environment is a bit silly.

I did notice you can check / uncheck manually created planes, and they will / will not show up in the assembly with the show/hide operation. Probably not any better from what's already there.

"but then can't select a part feature / surface through the plane"

In SE you can select anything through anything, whether you can see it or not.
Just wait for QuickPick list to appear.

I do agree though that it would be nice to expand a part to at least the base systems.

bc.
Core i5-3570 @3.4GHz , 8GB RAM
Quadro FX4600. W7 Pro 64-bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back