Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SHOW WITH DEPENDANTS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

swforge

Mechanical
Jun 1, 2006
US
Hi All,
I will typically bring into assemblies commercial items that need alterations for our purposes, in their as bought state. I then "hide in all configurations" through the component properties. Some colleages, when viewing sections of large assemblies use hide to get at internal parts, then "Show with dependants" to turn all parts back on. This practice however changes the state of my hidden commercial parts. I insert these parts only to create the drawing BOM and they never have to be shown.

Why should "show with dependants" change permanently the display state and is there a way to always keep parts hidded but available for drawing BOMs. I personally do not use show with dependants, but isolate instead.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If they are only for the BOM, why not just insert an empty, blank part with no geometry, giving it the custom properties/filename/whatever you need for BOM generation? If the geometry never has any purpose (which sounds like the case) then all it can do is degrade your performance.

You might even want to check into using no-geometry virtual components. That way you don't have to keep track of the separate files.

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

I second handleman's suggestions (especially the no-geometry virtual components), however if the part is being altered, why not keep the assy 'real' and show the part in its altered state?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back