Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shower accessability for R4 assisted living

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigswedeCO

Structural
Jul 26, 2007
US
I am working on an accessability issue for an assisted living home group R4.
I cannot find any definative proof that a shower base with a 4-inch lip cannot be used with a transfer type seat. A tub with a transfer seat is acceptable, why wouldn't a 4" lip be acceptable?
The framing and (electrical/mechanical) is too far along to economically install roll-in type shower bases.
We have looked thru the IBC, and ICC/ANSI but have not found any absolute rule.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Based on the 2006 IBC:

Ohio Building Code 1101.2 Design. Buildings and facilities shall be designed and constructed to be accessible in accordance with this code and ADAAG.

ADAAG 4.21.7 Curbs. If provided, curbs in shower stalls 36 in by 36 in (915 mm by 915 mm) shall be no higher than 1/2 in (13 mm). Shower stalls that are 30 in by 60 in (760 mm by 1525 mm) minimum shall not have curbs.

Don Phillips

Thanks Don,
Is the 36in. x 36in. a minimum? We have 42in. x 42in. shower bases.
If the governing authority has not adopted ADAAG; the IBC and ICC/ANSI leave a large gray area regarding this issue, could I reasonably argue that since a tub (with a 15in. + side) is permitted with a transfer type seat, therefore a shower with a 4in. curb could be utilized in the same fashion.??

Unforetunately, ADA was not written as a true code dealing with a gray world so there is no minimum or maximum language for this particular item. My interpreation is a 42" square is more similar to the 36" square than the 30" x 60" rectagular. The way the code literally reads, your 42" square would not have to comply, but would not meet the intent of the code to make the shower accessible.

I would call the local jurisidction and speak to a plans examiner or the building official. Although the 42" square requiring compliance is my interpretation, so would be the installation of either a compliant tub or a compliant shower, and not mixing of the two requirements. You logic is reasonable, but if the code is clear, the plans examiner has to enforce the code.

Don Phillips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back