Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Showing Construction Details in drawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiddleCE

Civil/Environmental
Aug 28, 2008
US
I wonder if others have a better way to show construction details.

I currently draw the site plan in model space and then put this in paper space with the title block etc.
Then generally on a separate sheet put in construction details. These are blocks that I have made, not at any particular scale but sized to fit the sheet. Kind of generic drawing details. Sometimes these need to be modified (lengths, depth of cover etc) for the project

What is the best way to put on these construction details?
Just the blocks like I am doing?
xref?
Put in model space and then bring into paper space?
Other methods?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi AcronOnsite,

That's pretty much how I handle it also, the difference being the details are all full size, and then I insert them into model space and just create views in paper space sized to fit my sheet. Keeping the details full size makes them easier to modify when I have to.

I really don't think there's a right or wrong way, I think it's just a user preference really.

HTH
Todd

I do not create many site plans but I try to place the model in model space, including details (drawn full size) and use paperspace to create the proper scale of the output. PS is also where I place legends, notes, dimensions, etc.

I avoid xrefs for details since they usually need to be modified to meet the porject requirements. The base model I receive from a third party I xref in case it changes - like walls move or something. But I usually purge it clean and leave only the layers I will need to keep my drawings as clean as possible.

Don Phillips

I create details that are drawn to scale (usually larger).
Each detail is saved as its own .dwg
I have another DETAILS.DWG which is simply a title block with 6 lines making a grid of 16 equal boxes.
I load DETAILS.DWG and then xref into one of the 16 positions just the blocks needed for each project.
If one of the detail blocks needs tweaking, I make the updates and it will be available for future and past jobs.
If the changes are extensive, I copy it and create a new block.
Some blocks are 1/2 or 1/4 size, those xrefs snap to the midpoints of my grid lines.

Any of the methods mentioned above is fine, however, your call-out bubbles must accurately depict the page and detail numbers. In paper space the buble sizes in my case would be 1/2" in diameter. If the detail and page numbers are to be within the bubbles, then they would be separated by a middle line and the size of the numbers would be 3/16" each. If only the detail numbers are inserted in the bubbles, then the size would be 3/8" in dia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back