Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Showing onle certain items in hidden line 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rossob

Mechanical
Jul 22, 2007
AU
I have a drawing of a crane, which I wish to have displayed as hidden-line-removed. There is a certain weld detail I need to show, where 4 certain plates need to be shown as hidden-lines-visible.

Is there a way I can just select the certain components and make them shown as HLV, or is it more comlicated than this?

Ross

NX5.0.4.1 WinXP SP2
SolidWorks 2007

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes there is a way to do that. You need to create what we call a 'Render Set'.

First open your drawing and go to Preferences -> Drafting... and select the tab labeled 'View' and at the bottom of the dialog select the button labeled 'Define Render Set'. Then enter a name for the 'Render Set' and select 'Create'. Now select the named item you just created and then select the button near the bottom labeled 'Select Solids' and select the solid bodies which you wish to include in the set from whatever view, or combination of views, that you can select them from (you may need to turn OFF hidden line removal to make them visible). Once the solid bodies are selected, select the button below it labeled 'Hidden Lines' and set the font to 'Dashed'. Now select the button labeled 'Visible Lines', and since you want all the edges of the hidden bodies in the 'Render Set' to be dashed, also set the font under this setting to be 'Dashed' as well. Once you've selected all of the bodies and set the Color/Font/Width desired, hit the OK button and then OK again.

Now go back to your drawing and with the default display set to hidden, select the view you wish the 'Render Set' to be effective in and press MB3 and select 'Style...' and in the middle of the dialog under the 'General' tab, select the button labeled 'Define Render Sets in View' and select the named 'Render Set' in the bottom list and then select 'Add' so that it now appears in the upper list (note that you can make active more than one 'Render Set' if you desire) and then hit OK twice.

Now if you don't have your drawing set on 'Automatic Update', you will need to go to 'Update Views' and manually update the views to see the change in the fonts of the 'Render Set'.

Anyway, give it a shot and let me know how it came out.

If you have any problems, the user documentation covers this pretty well, but the work-flow I described above should work OK.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Design
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back