Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Shrink Fit Bushing Install Method 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmpritch82

Aerospace
Aug 26, 2005
US
Hi. I am searching for an install method for shrink fit bushings that is not proprietary and that I can get quick. Any ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You do not say what the bushing is and what material you are inserting it into.
You could try warming the surrounding structure and putting the bushings in dry ice.
If these are aircraft parts you are going to have to be careful with heat treat temperatures.
B.E.

dmpritch82,

Since you specified a "shrink" fit, I'll assume you mean thermal fit. There are no proprietary tools or processes required to perform thermal fitting of a bushing into a bore. You just need to machine the bushing OD and bore to the correct diameters, heat the bore and/or cool the bushing enough to permit a slip fit, and then push the bushing into place. You may want to make a simple press tool that pilots on the bushing ID and has a shoulder to make sure that the bushing goes in square and is installed at the appropriate height in the bore.

Depending upon the degree of interference in your bushing's fit and the relative stiffness of the bushing and housing, the bushing bore may require boring and/or honing after installation to correct the bore size and shape.

Good luck.
Terry

Thermally shrunk bushings may be no good any more in airplanes because of the risk of condensation.

Use press fit or FTI cold expanded bushings instead.

victorzv

when the bushing hits the heated parts there is instantaneous thermal transfer of the heat upon the
bushing. it is done on aerospace & aircraft parts.

the parts are heated 50 deg below the tempering temperature.
the bushing are normally dipped in liquid nitrogen - 300 deg F approx. "to obtain maximum contraction of the bushing"

once the parts are mated the heat from the larger mass will over take the bushing.
tooling is generally required because the assembly must be very quick.

I have assembled pins , gear shafts & so on this way.

MfgEngGear

I could not write a process spec that was titled "Shrink Fit Bushing Install Method" and have the spec say nothing but "use a torch and a bucket of dry ice."

BAC5435 is more of what I was looking for.

At Steamtown, I saw a video of fitting a steel tire to a cast locomotive wheel. Lots of smoke and fire. Looks like great fun.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

USAF T.O. 1-1A-8 Section 8 Bushings. Indicates that heat [housing] and cold [bushing] may be used with all noted processes. 1-1A-8 is available at:
Recommend freezing the bushing on dri-ice [covered with insulation] for at least 30-minutes. Remove the bushing with tongs [wood preferred] or protective gloves and install [press] in hole within ~15--20 seconds. Note: to facilitate installation and improve corrosion resistance, may apply wet-sealant or epoxy primer to hole [bore] just before bushing installation. Fillet around both ends with "squeze-out" [wipe-away excess].

Regards, Wil Taylor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back