Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shrink Rates Applied to CAD Model

Status
Not open for further replies.

REDesigner09

Aerospace
Nov 19, 2010
US
Hi,

I have a Casting model (ProE 4.0) & curious to know if a non-uniform scaling of the model can be conducted? This scaling would represent shrink rate in an X,Y & Z coordinate system.

Is this possible & if so, how?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Jebseluka & Others,

This is good to know. Unfortunately for the company I work for, it does not appear they have the Mold & Casting license to run this feature.

Are there any other ways to produce the same results without the license?

REDesigner09,

[ponder] Yes I think this workaround may be useful to you.

What you want can be achieved using the Warp Tool's - "Stretch" option. it's the fourth icon on the Warp
This will allow you to scale the part size up or down with separate values for scale in the X, Y and Z directions. Of course you will not get all the options that the Mold Design functionality gives in terms of showing your Model Dimensions with modified or unmodified values but Driven dimensions in the drawing should give you the correct values.

Insert > Warp
Select Your CSYS or it might come in automatically after picking SolidGeometry
You will have to do this 3 times but each stretch is added to the list of Warp operations so all three scales can be combined into a single feature.

While in the Stretch Operation you will see a button that can be used to toggle the direction between x, y and z and which side gets scaled and which remains in the same place.

Fair Warning: I haven't fully checked this out however i believe-
There does seem to be an accuracy error depending on order of scale operations. This doesn't really make sense because a scale along Y should not affect scale in the other 2 directions.

Take a look at the Warp operation and see if might be useful in getting your non uniform scale.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back