Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shutting and killing a well in phases

Status
Not open for further replies.

wati

Chemical
Jan 8, 2006
NL
Hi,

I don't understand how a well is shutted and killed. What is the "kill phase" diagram and can anyone explain to me?.

Any information lecture notes, graphs,material attached are appreciated.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I suppose you are talking about a producing well. Gas wells you dont want to kill. I assume you are looking to do some downhole work on a producing well. Maybe a hole full of heavy fluid,like a brine.

Its about a producing well. If for instance a well has to be shutted due to e.g maintenance operations in the wellhead or failure downhole how the shutting and killing process will take place. I understand that a heavy mud is used.

You have to have a hydrostatic column of fluid that exerts a higher pressure on the reservoir formation than the pore pressure in the reservoir. So, for example, in the depleted reservoir I'm working on, with a pressure of approx. 3500psi at 8300ft TVD, the mud weight needed to be greater than the pore pressure is about 8.1ppg:- 3500/ 8300 = 0.4217psi/ft; 0.4217 /0.052 = 8.1ppg. So seawater, at 8.7ppg will kill the well, if you can stop it flowing away into the reservoir. In order to do this we use a perflo pill, (which is a trade name for sized CaCO3), to block the pores in the reservoir formation, similar to how a mud filter cake works, which can be easily removed when we want to bring the well back on.

You wouldn't used mud to kill a well you want to bring back on, as you will proabaly have problems getting the well to flow again- you'd use the various solids-free brines that are available at variuos weights up to 16ppg: NaCl, bromides, formates, whatever, with a pill to stop the brines flowing away into the reservoir.

If you're killing the well before plugging & abandoning it, you'd use mud, probably the mud you've been using to drill the well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back