Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Side loading

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgallup

Automotive
May 9, 2003
US
I work with a lot of solenoid designs that are basically axi-symmetric. I've got 2D axi-symmetric magnetic FEA software that does a very nice job of calculating axial loads but by definition there are always zero radial loads due to symmetry.

Real parts on the other hand are never perfectly axi-symmetric, nothing is ever perfectly round and moving parts have clearances that let them move off center. The side loading can cause big problems with friction, wear, etc. even to the point of having to add expensive coatings or plating to mitigate the effect. From experience I know that some designs are much more prone to side loading than others but I have no way to quantify it.

Does anyone know of a way to calculate side loading short of a full 3D solver? For instance, could I change the diameter of a component, find the change in radial field strength and use that to calculate a radial force as if the part was off center? I'm just talking off the top of my head here trying to think how I can use the tools at hand to solve this problem.

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back