Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

siemens logo upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

foretmark

Electrical
Jul 14, 2008
US
Siemens upgraded their LOGO! smartrelay to version 0BA6 from 0BA5. There are only a couple of minor additions, however the little memory chip that allows quick and easy program upgrades is not compatible according to Seimens. They informed me however that the new LOGO should be able to read the old chip, but I cannot get it to.

Do any of you use this thing, and if so, has anyone been able to get the old chip (5CA00-0BA0) to work in the new model?

The only upgrades made were an additional couple of analog inputs, adn the screen has better resolution....to my knowledge...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are a few more upgrades than that, such as PWM output capability and the ability to communicate to the new remote HMI, but it is supposed to be fully backwards compatible. I'll check to see if anyone else has had issues with the new units reading old memory chips, that's a function I have never tried to do. But did you try doing it through the Logosoft Comfort software? The upgrade to the new software revision is free if you have the old version. I know that works to convert an older version program to run on the new hardware because I have done it.

"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe." -- Abraham Lincoln
For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

I knew there were a couple of other things I read about that I couldn't remember....thanks :)
Yes, I upgraded the software..(logosoft ver. 6.1.5). I am able to program a 0BA6 via the PC, however, according to seimens, and my attempts, the 0BA6 will not talk to the old chips.
Siemens told me that the old chips should be able to be read by the 0BA6 (but not write), however, I tried many different things (3 plc's, 2 chips, different programs, different software) unsuccessfully.
Now, one of our guys says he's had luck putting programs on the 0BA6 with his old chip, so there's something I'm missing...I'm thinking maybe the chips he used were programmed using the old software. I haven't tried the previous version of logosoft, I tried a version of WINLDR that I was using. Nevertheless, I would think programming an old chip with the old software would be less likely to work on a new LOGO than with the new software...??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back