Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

significant figures 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmwatson78

Chemical
Aug 7, 2007
US
Should significant figures apply to GD&T? What do you do when dividing decimals with different decimal places.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is GD&T?

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

Want to post an image? Look at the FAQ's in forum559

In a word. No.

Tolerances should not be held to significant figures, they should be held within the accuracy bounds which are needed. If you need three digit accuracy, and put only two digits, then the machinist will give you a part with two digit accuracy. Conversely, if you give him (or her) four digits then more time would be spent trying to hit the four digit accuracy within the given tolerances.

Back to the point. Give tolerances as needed, do not add an extra decimal because of mathematical operations.

Taking the science out of rocket science...One step at a time.

i think the OP was asking how do you express 1.0/0.50 ?

shoud the answer be 2 decimal places like the more precise dim'n ? or 1, or 3 ?

maybe you should express the math as 1.05/0.495 or 0.95/0.505 ... ie explore the limits of the dim'ns provided ??

See my response in GD&T,

To expound upon Mullins-

In the typical American (mechanical drawings) tolerancing system the number of decimal places corresponds to tolerance range given in the title block.

For instance 3dp may be +- .005, 2 dp may be +- .01 and 1 dp may be +- .03.

In other countries/working to other standards general tolerances like this are done differently.

When doing tolerance calculations I'll usually use all the decimals available and then round the result as required at the end based on function/title block tolerances.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

I didn't mean to imply you can't apply different limits to individual dimensions.

cmwatson78, any chance you can give a more detailed question.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back