Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SIL study related to an API 2350 category III fuel storage facility (Manned facility).

Status
Not open for further replies.

billdoor

Petroleum
Jul 10, 2016
DZ
Hello, I hope you're all doing fine. Could you please help me in the following matter.
We will be performing a HAZOP study for an attended fuel depot extension (JET fuel, diesel, gasolines).
We have been also asked to perform a SIL study after the HAZOP.
The thing is that the facility does not include any SIS in the tanks inlet as it is a manned facility falling into category III per API 2350. All storage tanks filling operations are fully attended and monitored by operators both on tank surroundings and in the control room.
My question is the following Where is the point developping a SIL study since no automated safety/security shutdown is on place in the tanks inlet to prevent overfillings that could lead to pool fire, VCE or fire-ball.
Also, Is there a previous experience where a SIL study has been performed in API 2350 category III fuel storage facility.
Thank you
Bill

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The purpose of conducting a SIL study (probably LOPA in your case) could be to identify gaps between the actual and acceptable risk, and to implement appropriate safety instrumented system as a result of the risk assessment.

Dejan IVANOVIC
Process Engineer, MSChE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back