Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Silencers for Relief Valves

Status
Not open for further replies.

guto

Specifier/Regulator
Apr 16, 2002
BR
Would like to know if there is some special restriction issued by ASME that do not allow the use of silencers with steam relief valves.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am not a process expert but in the last few jobs I have done, the silencer was a welcome addition to the safety valve. During an event, there will be a pressure drop across the safety valve. In some cases the pressure drop and/or flow rate is too large so an orifice plate or some sort of flow restrictor is used. In my case, the silencer which has a pressure drop was used as the flow restrictor. I would also add that high pressure drops create extreme sound levels (up to 140 dBA) which are a danger to anybody in the area and thats why silencers are needed.

The only thing I know related to ASME would be the requirement that the silencer have ANSI flanges and the interior be treated as a pressure vessel(if it is a reactive silencer) re. welding due to the high pressures involved. C. Hugh (

There are backpressure restrictions in ASME Sec. VIII, Div. 1 for piping downstream of pressure relief valves. The maximum backpressure allowed for a standard (unbalanced) pressure relief valve is 10% of the set pressure. This is covered in section M-8 of Appendix M.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back