Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Silicon iron bars

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgallup

Automotive
May 9, 2003
US
I'm looking for a source for a few 1/4" round bars of free cutting 2.5% silicon iron, something equivalent to Carpenter silicon iron BFM. Carpenter doesn't have any. Bigger bars would be OK.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Magival is not silicon iron. They are "solenoid quality 430FR" similar to ASTM A838 ferritic stainless. They do contain silicon but also way too much chromium & other elements for my requirements.

I said"click" on Magival and , on the right side of screen you can find "silicon iron alloy" and other subjects.
Magival is the name of a group regarding the soft magnetic grades ( include Fe-Si alloy) of Valbruna and where you can find free machined stainless steel, not free machined stainless steel, Silicon - Iron ASTM 867 ( different grades with S and P , simple Silicon Iron and so on )
Finally, the brand FeSi3P is what you are searching.

Found it, thanks. Could they lay that site out much worse? They stick a material document created 8 years ago under "news" instead of where all the other materials are.

dgallup,
you are right : the maintenance is a little bit poor or nobody is so kind to inform Vallbruna stainless about this inaccurancy or others ones ( as, for instance , 0,8Tesla = 80.000 gauss instead of 8.000 ).
However, it is a venial sin.
Nevertheless, I suggest to require if they have some (few) bars of grade that you are looking for.
I know that sometime they had also supplied few quantity or some barsfor trials orders.
Good luck !

We got enough material from Carpenter for my immediate needs but I sent Valbruna's info to our purchasing department because we are always looking for alternate suppliers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back