Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

silicone rubber material for CV boots 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 30, 2012
MY
Are the materials for silicone rubber CV boots the same found in those high temperature oven mitts/silicone gloves ?
image_2023-01-31_092800501_gv43mx.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Silicone is highly permeable to oil. I don't think it would be a very good material for a CV boot as it would allow the base oil to leak over time. Also, many CV greases are silicone based which can cause deterioration of the silicone rubber boot. A silicone based grease and EPDM rubber boot would provide best longevity provided there is no contact with engine oil. The grease needs to be highly shear stable as there is no stirring action such as seen in a bearing to mix the oil and thickener.

Silicone boots look like a great application for show cars and showing off - lots of colors and so forth. They don't look like a good option for a vehicle that is driven a lot or is expected to last a long time.

To directly answer the question, those silicone rubber boots are probably the same material as oven mitts.

If interested in performance, rather than looks, real CV joint boots are made from materials specifically developed for the application by small companies with names like DuPont and Celanese.

But I guess it is possible that some small molding company in Thailand has invested in developing a tailored silicone that would work.

Silicone also is not very resistant to tearing and cutting.
Fine for show but not for long term usage.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Universal no less. One size fits most. LOL

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back