Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Simple CAN Bus Module Needed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slagathor

Mechanical
Jan 6, 2002
US
I am looking for a very basic CAN Bus modules that can take simple discrete inputs, and the broadcast the switch state into a CAN network (1Mbit)
5,8 or 12V DC Powered
1MBit broadcast rate
The most basic single CAN message broadcasts 8 bytes..which means I could transmit 64 switch states! I need to transmit only 4 to 8.
I need to be able to set the address / id, message format, etc.
This is for Motec data system. I am using all my digital inputs for speed sensors, and need a way to input some user input (hold down a pushbutton to reset a timer or lab counter, etc)

All the CAN bus interface devices I can find are way more powerful than I need. This seems to be "too basic" to find a device for...

Thanks...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why do you care if some bits get wasted?

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Thanks for the responses gentlemen....

MacGyverS2000 (Electrical), I don't really care about wasting bits...but I literally have not been able to find a prepackaged module that does this. They are all much higher end modules that convert data streams, or are specialized for specific automotive instrumentation.

IRstuff (Aerospace), I am a Mech Eng, and know just enough about the EE side of things to be dangerous. I was hoping to find some sort of pre-configured module, rather than integrating components myself, and programming myself. Maybe that is the only way....

Thanks...

It's essentially plug and program. The integration effort basically consists of plugging the shield board onto the processor motherboard.
lots of options just on this one website, so there's probably others.

I would look at the choices and see which ones have canned programs and tutorials.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back