Simple Connector Compression Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dodgee

Electrical
Nov 11, 2002
CA
Hi All,

When you are checking the compaction ratio of sleeves or lugs, which of the following do you use?
1) Always use the solid cable diameter dimension, as the conductor size
2) Use the type of cable you are using, as the conductor size.

For example if I have 750 kcmil compact cable. Do I use the solid cable diameter of 0.866" or the compact cable diameter of 0.908"?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Use compression fittings and die based on cable size and stranding exactly as specified by the connector manufacturer. The solid dimension would be a misapplication, and likely an undersized connector that may not fit over the stranded conductor of equal circular-mil size.

Using only overall conductor OD for connector sizing is not intended by the connector manufacturer, and may give unacceptable termination/splice performance, as well as voiding product listing.

Thanks busbar,

Just to clarify the question I had though. I am referring to the Compaction Ratio when the connector is crimped over the conductor.
Compaction Ratio = ((Conductor Area + Connector Metal Area) /Die Size)-1
Should be between 5-20%...

If too small, the conductor won't be well pressed and therefore heat up too much. If too large, birdcaging of the cable or some other mechanical defect can be introduced.

So, would I use the solid conductor area no matter the type of cable as it would be crimped?

Thx

If I understand the situation correctly, I would let the connector manufacturer worry about compaction ratio, and base the installation on their recommendations. This should eliminate concerns about the too-small/too-large performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back