Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple drawing software

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobWard

Industrial
Nov 7, 2001
GB
I need to find some software for drawing simple diagrams, or pictures of control panels and the like so that we can produce in house manuals and proceedure documents.
Graphics programs seem too complicated for this simple task and we don't use CAD.
Does anyone know of anything out there that would fit the bill?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I´M IN THE PROCESS OF DESIGNING NEW FACILITIES FOR OUR ICE CREAM PRODUCTION PLANT, AND I´D LIKE TO DRAW SOME SIMPLE 3D PICTURES OF SOME AREAS OF THE PLANT.
IS THERE ANY SIMPLE, FAST, 3D RENDERING PROGRAM WITH SORT OF PRE-DETERMINED DRAG-AND-DROP OPTIONS...? ...THANKS.

Through geared toward the residential market, Floor Plan Plus is a simple 3-D program for layout that I believe could be used for this. I has Drop-n-Drag options, and is simple to use.

Excel has a very basic drawing function that allows one to draw all the necessary elemants for a control panel. Another way, that I have used to make manuals, is to take a digital picture of the panel, insert it into Excel, print your labels on it, then import the picture into your word document.

Do you want something more than this?

The Project Doctor

A very simple 2D CAD program we use to do similar things is QCAD. Nice price-- FREE! Easy to use, and will do most things easily. I agree with a previous post, Excel & Word do have rudimentary drawing options that work quite well for simple 2D designs, like control panels.

Its is very intersting to know about your working area.for simple 2d and 3d drawings you can use Autocad it is user friendly package.Otherwise if you want to use still more easier one which we have developed (Adraw part-5)you can order by mailing to suba_l@yahoo.com

Thank you all for your replies. We are looking at them, but got a bit sidetracked when we started to look for some simple software for drawing the wiring diagrams for the machines as well.
I now think that we really need to learn to walk before we run!
Thanks again. "I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go past." Douglas Adams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back