Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple Flow from Nozzle? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krustynuts

Mechanical
May 4, 2006
US
Trying to find the right formula for calculating flow (gpm) out of a nozzle to atmosphere with only knowing pipe pressure and nozzle orifice diameter? This seems like it would be simple, but it's been over 20-yrs since I took fluids!

Specifics are: water in 1/2" OD PVC tubing flowing through a 3/16" nozzle and a pump rated at 80 psi max. I'm not interested in full friction loss calculations, etc., just a simple ideal solution. The pump is rated at 1.25 GPM and I would like to make sure the nozzle can handle it. Do nozzles have curves associated with them like pumps?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just use orifice flow, where v=sqrt(2*g*h)? Even though you want "ideal", I think it is unrealistically ideal to expect no exit losses. I would apply a Discharge Coefficient, and they range from 0.6 to 0.98...maybe use 0.8 to be conservative, but the manufacturer should be able to supply the Cd.

Engineering is the practice of the art of science - Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back