Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

simple questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

c0rd0bes

Mechanical
May 13, 2010
GB
Hi there can anyone tell me the types of glues and release agents for carbon fibre to plastic please.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"carbon fibre to plastic"...is this carbon/epoxy composite to a plastic of some sort? Dry carbon fibers to a plastic matrix?

A mention of the industry you have in mind would also help; is this a on building site, in a furniture factory or in a cleanroom?

Please be more specific.

Hi there my apologies. It was for a camera carbon fibre tripod.

After contacting the manufacturer they said they cut off the ofending part and reglued it again with loctite 480.

A change of question but would anyone know a chemical that could weaken the bond with loctite 480.

thanks
c0rd0bes

Well, that's a cyanoacrylate glue. As such it has a recommended debonding solvent. I don't usually use cyanoacrylates (I have only one datasheet for them) so I'm not sure of their chemical resistance versus epoxy (I'm assuming the tripod is carbon/epoxy; it's a classic example of a structure needing light weight and high stiffness and epoxy is a good guess). Most things that will attack cyanoacrylate will attack the epoxy and I'm not aware of any common materials that must be avoided, but there may be someone out there with better knowledge of adhesives who may know different.

Do you want to unglue the parts or are you worried that someone else might do so by accident?

If no one else shows up soon it might be worth reposting in a plastics forum like the Plastics Engineering or the Polymer Engineering ones.

Heat, humidity, and polar organic and nonpolar organic liquids can reduce the bond strength of this adhesive. Henkel publishes a Technical Data Sheet that shows some of this information.

Acetone should weaken the bond, It is also used for separating fingers accidentally glued together with cyanoacrylate glue.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back