Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Simplified Layer and Lineweight Standards for Civil Eng.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoWittyHandle

Geotechnical
Mar 24, 2003
US
Can anybody suggest or refer me to a simplified layer and lineweight standard for preparing AutoCAD drawings for a geotechnical engineering firm? I know that there is an architectural standard for AutoCAD drawing layers, but it is probably way too complicated for our purposes. It has to be simple, because nobody in our office is a draftsman, and I have a heck of a time just trying to get our younger engineers to follow drafting conventions such as not crossing a dimension line, making text size consistent, not exploding dimensions, and my favorite, drawing to true scale. Thank you for your replies

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I use a modified AIA naming scheme... and would have C-SOIL-OUTL, C-SOIL-PATT, and C-SOIL-HDDN for outline, pattern and hidden, resp. The pattern would depend on the type of soil encountered. Line weights (ie. colour) would vary. I also use layers C-FNDN-OUTL, C-FNDN-PATT, and C-FNDN-HDDN for foundation information where again the PATT would be for steel, concrete, timber, etc.

give your brightest, most motivated, cadd savvy young engineer the task of writing the office standard. After reviewing and approving the standard, make everybody use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back