Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simply Supported and Clamped edges definition in FEM modelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

brailos

Feb 7, 2012
RO
Hello , i would like to clarify some things. Perhaps you could help.

I am trying to make some FEM analysis about some examples in Bruhn and BDM abou buckling of plates. I want to take those examples and compare the results obtained analytically with the ones form FEM. But i a have some difficulties translating the boundary conditions from BDM and Bruhn to FEM model.

For a model , a simple plate subjected to uni axial compression what does all 4 edges simply supported and clamped mean translated in DOF locked or not in FEM? I know the definition for each of them but i am having difficulties imagining a plate with all 4 edges fixed could be subjected to uni axial compression...i want to make sure i get it correctly and never doubt it again.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Please post a patran or nastran input file so I can take a look.

I suggest you take a text like Roark's Formulas for Stress and Strain, and replicate a lot of plate examples to improve your understanding of Boundary Conditions. This is what helped me get a good idea of how to properly constrain models. I would like to offer an answer to your question, but it may not be enough to fully answer your question.

4SS = fixed in out of plane translation on all sides, fixed in moments perpendicular to the edge and normal to the edge on all sides; other 3 dof free
4CL = fixed in out of plane translation on all sides, fixed in all 3 moments on all sides; other 2 dof free

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back