Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simulated Beam Bending

Status
Not open for further replies.

markbreneman

Mechanical
Dec 7, 2007
US
I'm new to mechanica, and I'm trying simulate a flat rectangular piece of polypropylene .08 thick being bent. I'm trying to simulate the motion of folding the piece to a prescribed angle so that in it's final form it will will look like an arch or an A frame.

I'd like to have the simulation torque the surfaces to the prescribed angle but cannot figure out how to get the prescribed angle constraint with the moment load.

I have currently modeled the piece as if it were beam with pinned roller connections on each end of the beam.I have applied opposite moments to each end and have contrained each of the end surface to translate inwards(fixed in all other directions) and rotate to a prescribed angle. I currently get results of the part bending, but cannot determine if it gets to the prescribed angle. I have turned off scaling and have not seen it get to the prescibed angle?

Any help on how to simulate or to get the prescribed angle constraint to work would be EXTREMELY helpful.

-m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back