Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simulating A Tapered Pin Constraint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nano91

Industrial
May 13, 2014
US
Hi everyone,

Long time reader first time poster here. I am using WF5 Mechanica

I am currently struggling with a tapered pin constraint that is meant to simulate a push test that is used with a tapered pin. The problem is that the Pin Constraint option only allows the user to select a straight surface and does not allow the user to select the tapered surface that would correspond the surface that is in contact with the tapered pin.

I would like to avoid adding the pin in a assembly as it this has to be done for many different parts with varying geometries. Any way to achieve a tapered pin constraint within a part mechanica analysis?

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To what level of accuracy do you need to model a tapped pin connect? Do you just need a connection that allows on axis rotation? Does it need to provide mechanical stiffness in only one direction? What level of accuracy do you need from a results standpoint? Are you wanting accurate stresses at this connection point? All of these are important points in determining how to move forward.

However, a basic pin connection (such as the pin constraint is doing) can be modeled using a rigid link and a point constraint.

1. Define a datum point that is on-axis with the tapped hole and is centered depth wise.
2. Create a rigid link between this datum point and your tapped surface.
3. Define a point constraint on this datum point and constrain all DOF except for the one which characterizes rotation about the axis your datum point is one.

This is sometimes refereed to as a kinematic coupling in FEA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back