Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simulating Analysis on Mechanical Arm

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeamHydraROVHouston

Mechanical
Jun 4, 2015
US
Good morning,

I am working on designing an arm for my team's underwater ROV project. The assembly in Creo consists of links, hydraulic cylinders, brackets, and plates. In total, there are 4 double-acting cylinders. One to allow the arm to pivot about the base, two for the arm joint movement, and one for the gripper (not shown). I have created all of the parts and cannot determine or figure out why the analysis keeps failing. I am trying to perform a static analysis to visualize the stresses occurring while holding a static load. I did not include the gripper at the end of the arm in order to simplify the analysis process and avoid meshing issues. To mitigate that, I applied pin constraints where the gripper would be connected, including the payload to be lifted. I have spent quite some time designing this and altering, but cannot get an analysis run when completely assembled, yet if performed on each part individually, it works. I think it may have to with the cylinders, but it also seems to not like the connection pin I used for the shoulder links (shown in attachment). I have only worked with Creo for a year, enjoy it as it quite useful and am willing to learn as much as possible to solve this issue. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated! I will attach pictures of the assembly and the failures. Thank you for your time! I have not included objects such as washers, bolts, and fittings, to simplify the assembly in Creo for analysis.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
If your issues are still a matter of concern, you can send me your FEM model in Creo to look on it. From those figures, it is quite difficult to assess something useful...

---------------
Regards, Anze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back