Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simulating Pulse in Ansys 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TucsonAz

Mechanical
Mar 22, 2004
US
Has anyone simulates Pulse application (Semiconductor Laser) using Ansys. How do you input load as a function of time as I have power turned ON for 0.5sec and turned OFF for 0.5sec. I would like to see the temperature rise during Pulse operation.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Tucson,
Probably, the best way to learn how to simulate transient thermal analysis is to read Transient Thermal Analysis chapter in Thermal Analysis Guide. Use *DIM command to specify TABLE and then fill it manually or through *TREAD command. All these steps can be done via Utility Menu-Parameters-Array Parameters-Define/Edit (manually) or: Utility Menu-Parameters-Array Parameters-Define/Edit (then)-Read From File (files are in *.dat or *.txt formats, one column is TIME another one is TEMP). Personally, I prefer to work with tables. For Temp vs. Time set Parameter Type as Table then specify # of rows and set # of columns to 1. In the row variable (Var 1) field type TIME, then fill temperature vs. time steps as you wish. Good luck.

Can I input Load and time in a table for simulation Pulse application. The load is the heat input. I would like to see the temperature rise when the heat input is turned ON for 0.5sec and turned OFF for 0.5sec.

Thanks

Sorry for late answers, I was relocting, switching jobs and blah-blah-blah...

This issue is about temperature profile as a function of time. I can harder understand it in terms of ON and OFF. For instance, OFF means that a heater has no power input? In this case you would better take into an account the transient process since a heater still has a temperature (declining, but m.b sufficient enough to keep your system warming up). There are several other scenarios depending on the particular system, but most of them utilize transient analysis. I would use here the iterative method which is developed good enough in ANSYS, using temperature or generated heat as a parameter.
GL.

Here a input for a pulse load called 'pulselo'
via table,
applying a TEMPerature on a node:

*DIM,pulselo,TABLE,4,1, ,TIME

PULSELO(1,0,1) = 0 ! time=0 load=0
PULSELO(2,0,1) = 1 ! time=1
PULSELO(2,1,1) = 222 ! load=222
PULSELO(3,0,1) = 2 ! time= 2
PULSELO(3,1,1) = 222 ! load=222
PULSELO(4,0,1) = 3 ! time=3 load=0

BF,123,TEMP, %pulselo% ! insert the table load on Node 123