Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simulating seam/groove welds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest0527211403

Mechanical
Apr 24, 2004
CA
Hi folks

I am trying to run an analysis of an assembly that consists of two parts that are to be welded together.

The parts themselves are both "halves", so they share a common profile at the point where they are being welded, so that the weld itself is simply a seam between both halves.

When I analyze the model without applying any welds, Pro/Mechanica merges the two parts as though they were one. The problem that I have with this is that the weld is only on the outer seam. (The mating surfaces should not be treated as bonded). Using a "free" interface between the parts results in one component deflecting "into" the other. Pro/M also seems to reject my entries when I try to establish contact surfaces.

I have tried using the end weld and perimeter weld connections, but the model still does not deflect in the correct manner. In fact, when I create a perimeter weld (selectively choosing the seam edges), it creates a HUGE number of elements around the seam, and my analyses just stop on pass 2.

Does anyone know a practical way of establishing this connection in Mechanica? I once saw a how-to on using beam elements to simulate welds between components, but I cannot seem to find this info anymore.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back