Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simulating the feel

Status
Not open for further replies.

csk

Mechanical
Dec 5, 2001
US
Hi!

I need to know if anyone has used FEA to simultae the feel of a product (for example closing of a cell phone) etc.

Can I use NHVS analysis in anyway to get started?

Any tips are appreciated!!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think the that the big trick is utilizing FEA for this; rather the big trick is trying to quantify 'feel' (i.e. what parameters describe good 'feel' vs. bad 'feel' -- acceleration?, jerk?, others?).
If one knows how to quantify this, then numerical simluation can be done. I know people in automotive who have quantified 'good' door handle opening behavior and then successfully simulated it (similarly I am familiar with people quantifying 'good' door slam based on door excitations).
If the reality can be quantified, then the numerical simulation can likely be tied to it. Unfortunately, objectively quantifying these things is very difficult.
Brad

Brad,

Thanks for your reply on "Simulating the feel". Is it possible to get in touch with the people you know to get some more information?
Thanks,

I wish I could give that to you; however the work was proprietary within their company, so they cannot reveal those details. Also, due to this there were no publicly-available reports issued for their work.

I would recommend searching through SAE's papers. I would expect somebody would've published something along these lines.

Sorry that I can't be of more help.

Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back