Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simulation Software for Calculating Muffler Acoustics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wicsteve

Mechanical
Dec 10, 2001
US
Has anyone had experiences calculating insertion loss or transmission loss of mufflers and silencers using comercial software packages? Presently, we're looking at two different 'non-FEA' software packages. ADEM (sold in Europe mostly) and SIDLAB. Both are under $18,000. Any comments on either of these packages? Are the calculations from either accurate (assuming a muffler is modeled correctly)?

Are there other simulation software packages in the same (or lower) price range that we should look at?. We're trying to avoid the $35,000(+), FEA style software packages.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

These approaches will probably give you good results, but they won't give you any idea about back pressure and the effects of the muffler on engine tuning. You might even find that TL is not the best measure of a muffler's performance when attached to a real engine.

- Steve

LinkedIn

I did a bit a acoustics modeling a while ago. I used Comsol Multiphysics. I found it very useful and more intuitive than most packages.

[peace]
Fe

The requirement of FE / non FE based software should be decided by your range of interest of waves. If you are interested only in plane waves, then non FE based (typically transfer matrix based)software will serve the purpose. On the the other hand if you interested in higher order propagation of modes, then you should go for FE / BE based software.

It is not about dollars always, but about what you would require!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back