Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simulation Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKoilngas

Chemical
Mar 8, 2004
US
Hello all,

My question is whether anyone has experience with other process simulation software other than Hysys/Aspen. Specifically, something much more simple than Hysys and less expensive.

Our office (which deals in upstream oil and gas engineering) currently has a Hysys license but we really only use it to get material stream properties. No distillation, no reaction, no detailed process design what-so-ever. I just need something like a "Hysys-lite" that can perform simple VLE on standard hydrocarbon streams and give me stream properties. The cost needs to be below $12,000-$15,000 per year.

I would appreciate any leads...

Thanks,
AK Oil'n'Gas

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We use two products that might meet your needs:

Engineers Aide; (aka ChemPro, SiNet, System 7)

and

DF DesigNet; (aka Design Flow Solutions)

These programs are more designed for users who need a tool for hydraulic analysis (especially piping networks), physical properties, simple flashes, etc. The reason we license two is because we are currently looking at DesigNet to replace ChemPro.

best wishes,
sshep

As mpriychett says

Take a look at winsim/design II

Its got allmost everything that hysys has and a LOT cheaper.

Its even fairly easy to integrate the thermodynamic routines in excel sheets etc.

You can download a 2 week trial and theres even free introduction classes.

I use mostly HYSYS and winsim on occation but i have allways found winsim just as easy to use.

Best regards

Morten

Here is a relevant thread that might be very useful:

thread135-141211

For what you are trying to do, here's something to consider: a one-time payment gets you a permanent paid up license for a simulator called PD Plus. This is a lot more power than you need, but it seems just the ticket considering the cost of the alternatives. The cost for PD Plus was quite modest the last time I checked (under $2000).

The appropriate link for PD Plus is:

Learning to use this is a cinch; however, if you need guidance, send me a problem and I'll either send you a PD Plus input file to solve it or simple instructions on how to do it. Also, you won't believe this, but PD Plus users get help from the program author himself which itself is worth more than the cost of the program in my opinion. I learned to use it in less than a week for REALLY complex refinery simulations.

The choice of a simulator for more complex engineering office environments than yours depends on many factors. However, simple flashes, distillation columns, and normal unit operations can be handled by PD Plus very quickly and robustly.

Have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back