Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simulation softwares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahmedaoso

Chemical
Nov 15, 2007
SA
I am a new process engineer in feild of refinery and i need other experienced process engineer to tell me what is the the most helpfull simulation softwares that i'll need it in my work and plz tell me if it is for free or payied with any avaliable links
thank u

These are some good simulation programs. All have some license fees associated with them.

BR&E's ProMax: Contains the old TSWEET simulation engine. Especially good for amine units, but it can do a whole oil refinery or gas plant.

AspenTech of course offers both Hysys and AspenPlus now: Both are powerful, widely used simulators.

Sulsim is a good sulfur plant simulator:
ProTreat is another amine and gas plant simulator, but I think it can do other processes too. Never actually used it, but the Sulsim guys offer it too:

WinSim at is a simulation program. Vertual Materials group has a good one too.

There are a lot of little free programs that help get you get a rough idea and will assist you in getting solutions faster in the big commercial programs.

Huntsman Chemicals ha QuickTreat. The old Hanover now Exterran had QuickSize. Lots more out there, plus, just write your own in Excel.

For different purpose there is different softwares packages like ASPEN Plus 2006 is good simulation software for columns/hydraulics apart from that HTRI is very good for heat exchangers /fin fan coolers/fired heaters rating/simuation/design purpose , KBC-Petrosim is also good for regorous refinery wide simulation along with hydrotreaters etc. where reaction kinetics is involved, TSweet is very good for sulfur plant.

Thanks...

If you work in a refinery then if this refinery is a part of a larger company your company will most likely allready have considered this and has a "preferred vendor".

Best regards

Morten

thanks 4 all
my company in agrements & construction stage and i 'll work as principle process consultant Assistant and i donna know wht is my job in detailed so donna be surprise for asking about these softwares Mr.MortenA
plz any body have an advise 2 me plz post it

Well then ask your client what he uses. Im a consultant myself and my experience is that the client is relucktant to accept work done with anothetr package than "what hes used to". That is ofcourse a problem since the clients tends to use different packages.

If you need something at a reasonable price then i would recommend winsim/design II.

On the other hand if price is not a problem then go for someting more popular such as HYSYS.

Best regards

Morten

I am also a new process engineer in an oil refinery. My refinery uses SIMSCI,PROII60.I have been using it now for under 6 months and I find it quite handy to use.

Try looking up UniSim Design by Honeywell as an alternative to Hysys. It's almost identical and may be cheaper.

For the programs you consider, you should find out what support is available at what price. Can you call a support line for help? Can you hire some experts (from the software people or independent consultants in your area) for help? What happens if you go on the road and want to take the software with you?

Personally, if price wasn't an issue I'd lean towards Aspentech software because they have a lot of software options and a great support system.

I think that would surprice Aspen :)

What Honeywell DID DO was that the bought the code and right to market this as a result of an anti-trust caseas far as i understand).

The product that Honeywell markets is called unisys. It seems that Honeywell is most interested in the dynamic part - mostly for creating operator simulation units.

Best regards

Morten

Yeah, MortenA is correct. Right now UniSim is 99% identical to Hysys because they have almost the same code, and UniSim can open and save as Hysys files. But both are being supported and both will develop in different directions.

And there is also another HYSYS clone available as Petro0707 mentioned, KBC's Petro-SIM is also being developed, but with more of a refinery focus. KBC use it as their internal modelling tool for their consultants, but it can also be purchased from them. More information on it is available here:

Got the name of teh Honeywell software wrong: It Unisim of course.

Does anybody know what the price level from the dynamic package is?

They dont seem so eager to sell that software more "packages" tailored to operator training for a specific plant.

Best regards

Morten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back