Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simulink vs GT Suite

Status
Not open for further replies.

durablack2

Automotive
Jun 25, 2013
US
I am wondering the differences in capabilities between Simulink and GT Suite in terms of automotive simulation as well as the main use of each program. I know there are a number of different simulation programs out there but I am specifically interested in these two. My understanding is that Simulink is more for simulating controls whereas GT Suite is more for modeling complete system performance. Any thoughts / input much appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Exactly what Greg said. GT-Suite and Simulink actually can be used quite well together.
Both solve nonlinear DE's that model physical systems.
You can essentially do the same with both. But, for example if you want to simulate the entire thermal system of an engine, you are better off starting with GT and run some experiments to tune system parameters. In SL you will have to to much more modeling and the effort will be 2 or even 5 fold.

Thanks guys. That's kind of what I had in mind. I've done a bit more research and it seems that when using both together for automotive simulations, it is common to implement MATLAb solver functions into a Simulink model for optimizing component sizing / best fit and then add a "Simulink Harness" into GT power that will allow the GT Power model and Simulink model to be used in conjunction with one another. The engine components are simply modeled in GT Power where as the control parameters are more easily modeled in Simulink (i.e. injector control, egr, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back