Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Single phase rewind question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike1969

Electrical
Sep 6, 2011
US
Rewinding single phase motors are few and far between these days. When they they do come in they are special or obsolete, my question about the rewinding o them is this: WHY do the main windings seem to be installed in layers? It used to be a four pole winding with six leads would have two jumpers on the main and and three jumpers on the start. Now it seems that they have six jumpers on the main and they are "layered" in... What gives? Why?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Single Phase Electric Motors are... typically "Throw Away Items" when received in a repair shop.
They are still being manufactured, "wound", etc. And will be... for many years ahead.

Your unanswered question in this forum somewhat authenticates that those here... are from a new era... with little, or no bench experience(s).
I try not to hold it against them... for I continue to learn from everyone.

Let me ask you this.
Can you illustrate for us your "six jumpers" on the main winding, and how they are layered "in"?
This would help in understanding your question.
Any diagrams? Photo illustrations, etc.?

John

Pictures, and diagrams help everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back