Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

single point thread rolling

Status
Not open for further replies.

dho

Mechanical
May 19, 2006
US
I tried to find more info to educate myself about SINGLE (yes, SINGLE) point thread rolling, I could not find any info. how it is done, who is doing.
shine any light for me?
thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

my fault. i should read more carefully. it is SINGLE CONTINUOUS thread rolling. i know thread rolled by two flat plates, two dies, or three. what is so significant here "SINGLE CONTINUOUS"?
thank you jgKRI.

"I could not find any info"

Then how have you come to the conclusion that it is a real process and it exists? I've been in manufacturing for going on 35 years now, a good many years of those spent in toolrooms and machine shops, and out of the many and varied processes that are in existence used to produce threads, I have to say that I have never heard of that one. Doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, but I'll be curious to see if anyone comes up with a real life experience or anecdote.

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

I can't imagine how single point thread ROLLING could work, unless it was coupled with pretty rigid workpiece support opposite the 'rolling tool' which would sort of defeat the purpose of single pointing a thread. If you have to have a support on the other side, why not just have multiple thread rollers / tools?

Are you ABSOLUTELY SURE that you're not supposed to be looking into single point thread cutting?

sorry, very sorry. i mislead you.
as the second thread, i said i quoted wrong. it is "single continuous thread rolling".

I don't understand any difference in effect there. Unless it means it's a single-start thread that is continuously rolled, which would be logical, but oddly (to me) stated.

Sorry, I can't be of any help. I am equally confused as you are. This might be something that has to be clarified by your customer.

If you do find an answer to clarify this phrase, please share - I am very curious.

Ah, yes. "One pass", which is normally the case anyway.

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

The note suggests that the customer either wants a long or perhaps stepped part fully threaded with all the pitches matching, so that an infinitely long female thread gage will glide right on,
or the customer doesn't want the severe deformation associated with thread rolling to occur in stages, presumably because the material work-hardens badly.

In either case, the customer should be doing the clarifying, not us.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Many bolt materials work harden when threaded by rolling. In the case of some alloys this could be detrimental to the bolt's life in service. In the case of some very hard materials, such as 718, work harden more than others, and are also very difficult to roll in one pass. This is especially true in large diameters. Thus, some manufacturers use multiple rolling passes to progressively roll the threads. Some equipment manufacturers prohibit this practice.[pre][/pre]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back