Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Single Shear Timber Connection. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcgrimsh

Structural
Jan 4, 2008
US
I’m looking for help in evaluating the strength of a wood peg (dowel) connection in single shear.

I studied an old church building in which the rafter sill plate was attached to the ceiling joists with 1-inch diameter wood pegs. The pegs failed. I thought it would be a simple matter to calculate the amount of force required to cause the failure. I was wrong. I have found information for steel-doweled connections in single shear and wood pegs in double sheer, but *nothing* that discusses the strength of a wood peg (or dowel) in single shear.

Any help at all is appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you have numbers you're comfortable with for wood pegs in double shear, just divide them by two.

Otherwise I'd imagine its as simple as:

Vn=Fc*A where Fc is the allowable stress of the HARDwood species in compression perpendicular to grain.

Maybe I'm missing something though..

Try the Timber Frame Engineering Council (TFEC) Tech Bulletin 2009-01 and the TFEC Standard for Design of Timber Frame Structures and Commentary - (TFEC1-07)

I believe they have values for oak pegs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back