Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Single Size Aggregate as Backfill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nerdasorus

Structural
Oct 20, 2017
JO
Hello
as the subject suggests , i want to know what are the specifications for using single size as back-fill material under structure i.e. a building, Do we really need to compact it or not ,isn't washing it sufficient ??
a quotation would be really appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You'd have to encapsulate it in some separation geotextile.

He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. - Winston Churchill, Sir (1874-1965)

f-d

ípapß gordo ainÆt no madre flaca!

I assume that you are referring to clean gravel, if so rather to compact, I would say you need to vibrate it to interlock the particles. Are you placing this under the foundations? How thick is this layer? Groundwater present? f-d confinement’s suggestion is also something to consider.

thank you for your answers
just to clarify ; its to be placed below S.O.G. above foundations , its deep though 4 meters (about 13 feet).
is there a quotation on the issue from ASTM ??

If you have to overexcavate 4 m, you may need some temporary shoring if you don’t have space to slope/bench the excavation...Perhaps a structural slab option may be also be considered...

Thank you for this
the back-filling is 4 meters not the excavations because the natural ground level is very low at that area , and a basement option has been declined.
The Consultant advised to to fill it as 20cm layers , but since the back-filling depth is very high , he agreed to 50cm layers, but with compaction.
now i don't believe it is needed since its clean gravel, i don't see how such material can cause settlement.is compaction really needed?
i've searched high and low for compaction of clean gravel in us codes , but didn't find anything , that's why i've turned to you guys ..

I have some very good and some very grim stories of clean (& cleanish) gravel and cobble fill.
My first reaction is ... Self Compacting aggregate is a Fairy Tale.
When it works - Great, but the fable has now gained some strength.
When it doesn't - Sometimes great pain, usually now a Compaction Grouting repair.

I do not allow any more than 12" (1/3 m) of clean fill under Anything, unless specifically compacted and usually stabilized by confinement (see above for fabrics or within a solid container, like stiff soil or concrete).
My biggest problem has been the belief in the Self Compacting aggregate Fairy Tale by municipal and large organization (private & government) engineers, who write so much of the specifications.

If you're filling a low area, it is probably best to compact engineered fill and use a perimeter drainage system... and you can construct on the compact engineered fill. Far better than constructing on clean granular crush.

Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back