Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Site Development Traffic Studies

Status
Not open for further replies.

asb3pe

Civil/Environmental
May 16, 2003
US
I have 11 yrs exp in general civil design work with municipal clients. I am moving to Phoenix and have a job interview with a firm out there interested in my traffic experience, but they are a commercial site development consultant. What are some good resources that I can study to prepare for the interview and possibly the job down the road? I have researched some texts but would appreciate any opinions specifically on the traffic portions of them...

Title: Site Impact Traffic Assessment: Problems and Solutions Proceedings of the ASCE Conference Chicago, Illinois June 8-10, 1992
Author: Robert E. Paaswell with Nagui Rouphail

Title: Practical Manual of Land Development
Author: Barbara C. Colley

Title: Land Development Handbook
Author: The Dewberry Companies

Title: Land Development for Civil Engineers
Author: T. R. Dion

Any other references you can suggest would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I presume you're already conversant with the Highway Capacity Manual. The Institution of Transport Engineers has a comprehensive book store.
You might want to check out the Phoenix planning regulations and any transport plans that the city has for the future. The zoning ordinance is readily available on their website. Also look at their Code of Ordinances.
My advice to you would be to concentrate on what you know and are experienced in, rather than try to cram something you think they want you to be experienced in. They are already impressed with your credentials; rather than over-extend yourself, keep the focus on your strengths.

I would imagine that the company will value your input from "the other side of the fence". Just remember that they will often be looking for the most cost-effective solution, rather than the best engineering solution. At times, this is hard to stomach.

One good book i could think of is
Transportation and Land Development 2nd Edition
Author(s):Vergil G.Stover
Frank J.Koepke
This book is available through ITE website.

Good Luck..
TEEI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back