Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Six Sigma Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

omar12

Industrial
Dec 9, 2004
US
Why would I want to implement a Six Sigma Program if I already have a Cost Reduction and a ISO 9000 program in the plant? What can I expect different from a Six Sigma Program or a Lean Manufacturing Strategy for that matter?
( are they all horses of the same color? Why all the hipe about this program?)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If management is happy with the results of your current programs, there is no real reason to lauch a six sigma effort. Look at Six Sigma in terms of the opportunities it can provide in addition to your current efforts. If advantages appear worthwhile and (more importantly) if management commits, give it a shot.

The supposed superiority of Six Sigma is customer centric mind thought (both internal and external customers), that is supposed to become part of the corporate culture rather than "just a program". Other than that, it appears to be an amalgum of various other programs including what you have mentioned.

Regards,

Six sigma is not just a combination of cost reduction and quality programs. It's a mindset plus a really valuable toolkit. Enjoy your six-sigma training.

Kind Regards,
hahor

I'd go to the library and check out a book or video on six sigma or lean manufacturing. You may be implimenting certain parts of these, but aren't using the latest buzz words.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back